To remove the Fuel injection pump from the 3 and 4 cylinder Perkins engines
1) It may or not be necessary to drain the water from the radiator to move the hose to obtain access to the Injector pump drive gear (Yellow line #1 in Pic #2 below)
2) Remove Injection pump drive gear access plate, some models will have engine oil filler tube as pictured below others will have a solid plate.
When you remove the cover it will look similar to the picture on the left
3) The 3 holes in the picture above will have 3 bolts that will require a ½ wrench /socket to remove, do not remove at this time!
4) Next go to the mounting area of the pump and observe the lines in the area of line #2 in picture 2 on the right. Clean the area and if there are no lines visible take a small chisel and make 2 marks one on the timing gear cover and one on the injector pump
5) Then proceed to remove lines 3 and 4 as numbered in the picture above. Return and inlet, be sure to leave fittings in the pump as they will be required to properly test and set up the pump.
a. These lines can be difficult at times to remove due to a rubber grommet that seals them. Take a small pick and go between the line and the fitting and cut the grommet.
6) Then remove injector lines taking extreme care not to contaminate them with any dirt. Also remove the shut off and the throttle control rods. Be sure to leave the levers attached to the pump as these will be required to properly test the pump
7) Now remove the 3 bolts that hold the pump drive gear to the pump, some models may have a metal bent tab locking the bolts others will not.
8) Next remove the 3 mounting bolts that hold the pump to the timing gear cover or front of the engine. These bolts are located in a triangle shape and will take a ½ socket and extension or a 90 degree bent wrench. One Tip, remove the one on the outside last! This is the easiest one to reach and if you wait until last you will not have to deal with the weight of the pump making the bolt harder to turn.
Mounting instructions MF.pdf
Size : 947.124 Kb
Type : pdf